Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

International Student Travel during COVID-19: Resources

Information for students traveling internationally to or from the U.S. during the current crisis.


International Travel Websites for Current Information

Current Border Restrictions

For those traveling home for the Christmas/Winter break, see the requirements below. Many countries are on lock down until the beginning of December and flights may be cancelled. Please check flight information and restrictions frequently!

  • The following countries are currently requiring a negative COVID test within 72 hours of boarding the last leg of your flight:

Columbia – test within 96 hours and online form 24 hrs before departure

Egypt—test within 96 hours and the certificate must be stamped by an approved lab without any scraping, cancelation or written addition; a public health card is also required

France – a travel certificate is also required


Russia-- Russian citizens must register as arrivals on the official State Services website before flight check-in; and must complete a paper application before entry. Russian nationals may enter without a negative COVID-19 PCR test but are then required to complete a COVID-19 PCR test within three days of entry and upload the test results into the form available on the Gosuslugi government portal. Affected individuals complete home quarantine until negative test results are available.

South Africa

Spain-- ALL travelers must fill out a health control form 48 hours prior to travel and starting from November 23, travelers will be required to submit a negative test result within 72 hours before their planned departure.

Venezuela--commercial international flights to and from Dominican Republic, Iran, Mexico, Panama and Turkey now allowed through the Maiquetia International Airport in Caracas. Negative result from a COVID-19 PCR test taken within 48 hours prior to the flight for all individuals entering Venezuela by air.

  • For the following a negative COVID test or quarantine is required:




  • Quarantine is required for the following countries:

Australia—mandatory 14 days in a hotel at person’s expense

Canada--Effective November 21, travelers entering Canada by air will be required to submit information, including travel and contact information, a quarantine plan (unless exempt from this requirement) and a COVID-19 symptom assessment via the ArriveCAN Mobile App.

Czech Republic— also a health passenger locator form

Ireland – also a health passenger locator form


United Kingdom – also a health passenger locator form

  • Only a health control form required:


  • No restrictions, or unknown, for nationals returning:




Requirements for International Students Entering the U.S.

At this time, anyone returning from international travel is required to do the following according to the CDC. Quarantine in no longer required except by certain states and territories.

  1. When around others, stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people who are not from your household. It is important to do this everywhere, both indoors and outdoors.
  2. Wear a mask to keep your nose and mouth covered when you are outside of your home.
  3. Wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer.
  4. Watch your health and look for symptoms of COVID-19. Take your temperature if you feel sick.

According to U.S.-Canada and U.S.-Mexico Border Notices, the Canada and Mexico land port (car, commuter rail, or ferry) of entry permits as coming for essential travel "Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions." While students can go through the border, tourism is not permitted. This was extended again until November 21, and Canada officials say will likely extend until some time next year.

For more information, go to 

National Interest Exemptions for Students

Announcing Additions to the National Interest Exceptions:  Travel in the national interest of the United States includes travel on a temporary basis that provides a substantial benefit to the U.S. economy including certain categories of students, academics,  as well as certain business travelersinvestorstreaty traders.  

STUDENTS – F1, M1 and their dependents 

  • Must have a valid I-20 
  • College or university must offer in-person classes 
  • Colleges or universities that move to online only classes are not included 
  • SEVIS fee paid 
  • Students will need to self-quarantine subject to local requirements 
  • If you currently have a valid F1/F2 visa and a valid I-20, you may travel to the U.S. and apply for admission.  You do not need to reapply. 
  • You will need the new I-20 issued in July and the signed letter from the college stating you are enrolled in in-person classes as well as your passport.